Chocolate-Candy Cane Meringue Wreath
These stunning meringues melt in your mouth. Set the minty masterpiece in the center of the table to accent your spread, then enjoy it for dessert later. —Nicole Tran, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Bake: 35 min./batch + cooling
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-3/4 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup finely crushed candy canes or peppermint candies, divided
- 12-inch round doily or parchment circle
- 3 teaspoons shortening
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup crushed candies.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 1 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Line serving platter with a doily. In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining chocolate chips. Dip bottoms of cookies into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Stack cookies on prepared platter into a ring to form a wreath.
- Drizzle remaining melted chocolate over wreath; sprinkle with remaining candies. Let stand until set, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 48 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.