Sparkly Meringue Snowmen
For my son’s first Christmas home from Iraq, I wanted everything to feel magical. He loves meringue cookies, so I made a big batch of minty snowflakes. —Patricia Lindsay, Independence, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 1 hour 20 min./batch
MakesAbout 1 dozen
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint or vanilla extract
- Black nonpareils
- Orange sprinkles
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in extract.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #12 round tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe snowmen about 4 in. tall, 2 in. apart, onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Decorate with black nonpareils and orange sprinkles. Bake until firm to the touch, 80-90 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 31 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Sparkly Snowflakes in Taste of Home December 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.