Festive Meringue Christmas Trees
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours + standing
Makesabout 26 meringues
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear or regular vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Green food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles
- Star nonpareils
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°. In a large bowl, add egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes. Tint with green food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a large #828 open star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 2-in.-diameter tree shapes 2 in. apart onto parchment lined baking sheets; top with sprinkles and a star nonpareil.
- Bake until firm to the touch, 3 hours. Turn off oven and open door all the way; leave meringues in oven until cool. Remove meringues from parchment paper. If desired, sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 meringue: 23 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Vanilla Meringue Stars in Holiday Cookies 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.