Festive Meringue Christmas Trees
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours + standing
Makesabout 26 meringues
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear or regular vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Green food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles
- Star nonpareils
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°. In a large bowl, add egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes. Tint with green food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag; insert a large #828 open star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 2-in.-diameter tree shapes 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets; top with sprinkles and a star nonpareil.
- Bake until firm to the touch, about 3 hours. Turn off oven and open door all the way; leave meringues in oven until cool. Remove meringues from parchment. If desired, sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 meringue: 23 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 9, 2019
These were really light and airy, but make sure you have the correct pastry tip or some skill with the presentation, because ours wound up looking like an episode of Nailed it! They were really delicious though.
Dec 6, 2019
good way to use egg whites, cute