Stacked Christmas Tree Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 9 unwrapped Rolo candies
- Necco wafer candies
- Smarties candies
- Yellow food coloring
- Green colored sugar and red nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cookie dough in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature to soften, 5-10 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add flour; beat until blended.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Using a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out 18 cookies. Repeat with 1-1/2-in. and 1-in. round cookie cutters. For remaining dough, use a floured 1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 8 stars.
- Sprinkle round cookies with colored sugar. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges are light brown, 6-9 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For each Christmas tree, pipe frosting on top of a Rolo candy for a trunk; top with a 2-in. cookie. Pipe frosting on top and bottom of a Necco wafer; place in center of cookie. Top with another 2-in. cookie. Repeat layers with two 1-1/2-in. cookies and two 1-in. cookies, using Smarties between the smaller layers.
- For stars, color a small amount of frosting yellow and pipe onto cookie; attach to the top of each tree using additional frosting. Thin remaining frosting with water; drizzle over edges. Decorate with nonpareils.
Nutrition Facts1 Christmas tree (calculated without decorations): 466 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 278mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 10, 2017
Read the recipe. It says clearly to separate the cookie layers with the gumdrops with the frosting piped on them to help them adhere. Cute recipe-kids love it!
Nov 8, 2013
what do you put between the cookies to separate them ?