Spiced Christmas Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2 cups molasses
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1-2/3 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped candied lemon peel
- 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups red and/or green candied cherries, cut as desired
- In a very large bowl, beat the molasses, butter, sour cream and lemon juice until well blended. Combine the flour, brown sugar, spices, baking soda, lemon zest and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the walnuts, raisins and candied peels. Cover and refrigerate until easy to handle, about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° until bottoms are lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Combine frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cookies; decorate with cherries. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 187 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 8, 2015
This recipe it DELICIOUS!...my hubby who is German LOVES them&so do my kids/grandkids!-they might be a "Christmas Cookie"-but we eat them year round!...one thing I do is put the fruit in the food processor so they are kinda ground up&that way you are not eating big hunks of fruit in the cookies????