Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, water and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture, and mix well.
- Shape into two rolls; wrap in plastic. Chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 84 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Oct 22, 2009
There is nothing more classic, or humble than this recipe! I remember my Grandmother wrapping and putting rolls of this dough in the freezer. We always mixed dough in quantity, on the farm. This cookie is soft, chewy and keeps well!
Dec 22, 2007
These cookied are really delicious. They bake up soft and chewy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.