Spiced Chocolate Molten Cakes
This splurge dessert is the kind you just have to linger over. Plunge your fork into one of the cakes and the chocolate and conversation start flowing. —Deb Carpenter, Hastings, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons egg yolk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in wine and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, egg yolk and confectioners' sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the flour, ginger and cinnamon until well blended. Gradually beat in butter mixture.
- Transfer to two greased 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center reads 160° and sides of cakes are set.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 1 minute. Run a knife around edges of ramekins; invert onto dessert plates. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without additional confectioners' sugar): 560 calories, 36g fat (21g saturated fat), 234mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Mrs.C's Molten Chocolate Cakes in Country Woman February/March 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.