Chocolate Almond Bars
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk and 1 cup chocolate chips. Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in egg, almonds and extract. Spread over crust. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpicks inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining chips; drizzle over top. Cut into bars.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 2, 2013
Made these for church bake sale. Shortbread crust and almond extract makes this a tasty great.
Apr 22, 2008
This recipe was good. i was worried it would taste too "almondy" but it didn't. it was perfect, all the flavors meshed together well. very yummy!