Almond Espresso Bars
If you like coffee, you'll love these mocha morsels dressed up with toasted almonds. Save a few bars for afternoon snacktime or even breakfast, too. —Taire Van Scoy, Brunswick, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped slivered almonds, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar and espresso until blended. Beat in egg. Combine flour and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chopped almonds.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and extract until smooth; spread over warm bars. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour, place 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup. Combine with an additional 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 68 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Toasted Almond Cinnamon Espresso Bars in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.