Chocolate Almond Brittle
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1 pound
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 pound dark or milk chocolate candy coating
- In a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, corn syrup and salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-1/2 minutes. Stir in almonds; cook on high for 2-1/2 minutes. Add the butter and vanilla; cook on high for 1 minute.
- Stir in baking soda. As soon as the mixture foams, quickly pour onto a greased metal baking sheet. Cool completely. Break into 2-in. pieces.
- Melt chocolate coating in a microwave. Dip one side of brittle in chocolate and place on waxed paper to harden. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 483 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 21, 2017
This is so easy to make and it turned out perfect! This chocolate coating makes it extra special!
Oct 1, 2015
This brittle was so easy to make and it tastes delicious! I will definitely add this recipe to my list of Christmas treats for friends and family!
Dec 20, 2013
I agree with DeDe71. My brittle too was somewhat soft and stuck to our fillings. The cooking times need to be extended as it did not reach soft crack stage which is 280 degrees. Would not make again, wasted alot of ingredients. Would use a candy thermometer recipe.
Dec 18, 2013
Taste good, but my brittle is kind of soft too. When I broke into pieces it seemed hard like brittle should be, but as I eat it, it's chewy and sticks to my teeth.
Nov 25, 2013
My Brittle is not getting hard...any suggestions?
Dec 30, 2011
Have made this recipe for years. Give it away for Christmas. Any ideas on how to double the recipe?
Dec 12, 2011
This is best brittle ever. Whats not to like almonds, chocolate plus its easy to put together. A must for Christmas table.
Jul 3, 2010
Very good! My husband asks me to make it a lot. The chocolate takes a while to set, so make it early:)
Dec 18, 2009
I make this for my Dad every year for his birthday and sends the tin home with me for a refill next year. Everyone asks for this recipe and it is fast and simple!