Chocolate Almond Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 to 7 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for at least 2 minutes. In a large heavy saucepan, heat the milk, sugar and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved; stir in chocolate until blended. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, stir in almonds. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 704 calories, 46g fat (25g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 5, 2011
creamie, chocolatie goodness. This was my 1st try w/homemade ice cream, pretty easy. Hubby even liked it & he's a tough critic when it comes to ice cream. Thanks for the recipe.