Chocolate Almond Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 to 7 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for at least 2 minutes. In a large heavy saucepan, heat the milk, sugar and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved; stir in chocolate until blended. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, stir in almonds. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 704 calories, 46g fat (25g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 5, 2011
creamie, chocolatie goodness. This was my 1st try w/homemade ice cream, pretty easy. Hubby even liked it & he's a tough critic when it comes to ice cream. Thanks for the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.