Chocolate Malted Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate malted milk powder
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup malted milk balls, coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar and malted milk powder until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return to pan. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream, malted milk balls and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 366 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 28, 2017
This has a very mild chocolate malt flavor. I tried again with 1 cup of ovaltine as another poster suggested and the flavor was still very mild. Don't get me wrong - it was delicious and super creamy - but if you are really looking for a chocolate malt flavor I would try another recipe.
Oct 23, 2013
This is great! The family loved it.
Aug 16, 2011
As is the recipe is 4 stars. Add in another 1/2 cup of malted milk powder and it's a 5. It's a very light chocolate taste with 1 cup so I can't imagine there is much chocolate at all with 1/2 cup. Otherwise it's great. I left out the milk balls second time around.
Aug 3, 2009
Your going to love this! My family did!