Chocolate Malted Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate malted milk powder
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup malted milk balls, coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar and malted milk powder until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return to pan. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream, malted milk balls and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 366 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
May 28, 2017
This has a very mild chocolate malt flavor. I tried again with 1 cup of ovaltine as another poster suggested and the flavor was still very mild. Don't get me wrong - it was delicious and super creamy - but if you are really looking for a chocolate malt flavor I would try another recipe.
Oct 23, 2013
This is great! The family loved it.
Aug 16, 2011
As is the recipe is 4 stars. Add in another 1/2 cup of malted milk powder and it's a 5. It's a very light chocolate taste with 1 cup so I can't imagine there is much chocolate at all with 1/2 cup. Otherwise it's great. I left out the milk balls second time around.
Aug 3, 2009
Your going to love this! My family did!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.