Toasted Hazelnut and Chocolate Ice Cream
The flavors in this ice cream take me back to European vacations I've enjoyed in the past. I am a big hazelnut fan, and who doesn't like chocolate? I've been caught red-handed eating Nutella out of the jar with a spoon! —Laura Majchrzak, Hunt Valley, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Process: 15 min. + freezing
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched hazelnuts, toasted
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk eggs, sugar and salt until blended; stir in milk. Cook over medium-low heat until a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat.
- Strain into a bowl; whisk in cream and Nutella until smooth. Stir in chopped chocolate. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pour custard into cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions, adding hazelnuts during the last 2 minutes of processing. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion; freeze 2-4 hours or until firm.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 436 calories, 32g fat (15g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.