Coconut Almond Candy
The secret ingredient in this homemade candy is a true surprise— no one tasting these delicious morsels will guess what’s in the sweet, creamy filling! —Katrina Smith, Lawrence, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 24 unblanched almonds, toasted
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, mix coconut, potatoes, vanilla and, if desired, salt. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate, covered, until firm enough to shape, about 1 hour.
- With hands dusted with confectioners' sugar, shape mixture into twenty-four 1-in. ovals. Flatten slightly, then wrap each around an almond. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; freeze until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Using a fork, dip candies in chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Return to baking sheets; refrigerate until set. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 candy: 167 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Almond Joy Candy in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.