Coconut Almond Candy
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 24 unblanched almonds, toasted
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, mix coconut, potatoes, vanilla and, if desired, salt. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate, covered, until firm enough to shape, about 1 hour.
- With hands dusted with confectioners' sugar, shape mixture into twenty-four 1-in. ovals. Flatten slightly, then wrap each around an almond. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; freeze until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Using a fork, dip candies in chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Return to baking sheets; refrigerate until set. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 candy: 167 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 10, 2019
When I was growing up, my grandma and mother both made this. Later, I did, as well. We called it potato candy. We put candied fruit and nuts in it, and then dipped it in chocolate. Very sweet, but oh so good!
Feb 10, 2019
This is a candy staple here in Maine. We call them Needhams.