Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter Brickle
I love a soft brittle because the texture is wonderful and different. The flavors in this one remind me of a favorite candy bar. —JoAnn Belack, Bradenton, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
Makesabout 1-3/4 pounds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup crunchy almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Place almond butter in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, at 50% power 30-60 seconds or until softened, stirring once. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 teaspoon water. Set aside almond butter and baking soda mixture.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add remaining butter; cook until candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently, about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in the softened almond butter, almond extract and dissolved baking soda. (Candy will foam.) Immediately pour into prepared pan. Spread to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips; let stand until chocolate begins to melt. Spread evenly; sprinkle with almonds and coconut, pressing slightly to adhere. Cool slightly. Refrigerate 1 hour or until chocolate is set.
- Break candy into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Soft Almond Butter Brickle with Dark Chocolate, Almonds and Sweet Coconut in Taste of Home December/January 2013