Cinnamon Almond Brittle
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 pounds
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200°. Grease 2 baking sheets with 1 teaspoon butter; place in oven to warm.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Stir in almonds, cinnamon, salt and remaining butter; cook until thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently and brushing sides of pan as needed.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla. Immediately pour onto prepared pans, spreading to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool completely.
- Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce: 142 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 20, 2018
My brother Cecil Reccomended this recipe to me, and I must say, it truly is a gem. The crunchy almonds give it this amazing texture that makes my teeth tingle with joy. Make this recipe, give some brittle to your friends, and they will tingle with joy as well.
Jun 20, 2018
My dog always loved this Brittle, his tail would wag like crazy every time we make it. unfortunately it always made him sick and he would vomit all over our carpet but it still made him happy. Rest in peace Butterball you will be missed.
Dec 10, 2017
My husband and I loved this brittle! It reminds you of the cinnamon almonds for sale at local fairs - delicious!
Dec 12, 2014
The cinnamon is a great addition to this brittle. I found three cups of almonds was too much. There wasn't enough brittle to go around the nuts. Tried again with 2 cups of almonds and it was perfect. I made this for a bazaar for two years now and I've gotten great reviews.