Oat & Coconut Icebox Cookies
This recipe was passed down through the family from Grandma Irene and is a favorite of my dad and cousin Dennis. It's a true cookie lover's cookie: crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and perfectly dunkable. —Lori Rowe, Tigerton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats, coconut and walnuts.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a 10-in. long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. Cool 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 142 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.