Orange-Pecan Icebox Cookies
These crisp cookies have a nice orange flavor and are chock-full of pecans, but the aren't overly sweet.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange juice, orange zest and extracts. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans. Shape dough into four 5-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 65 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Orange-Pecan Icebox Cookies in Country Extra January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.