Orange Sugar Cookies
I make these citrusy cookies for parties and special occasions, and we always get to eat the ones that don't come out perfectly. Eventually I had to start making extra "mistakes" to keep my family happy! —Myrrh Wertz, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3 drops orange food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, orange zest, orange juice and extract. Gradually beat in flour.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, milk and, if desired, food coloring until smooth. Pipe or spread over cookies; let stand until set.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Amazing Orange Sugar cookies in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine