Orange Poppy Seed Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, poppy seeds and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into two 10-in. rolls; roll each in colored sugar and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 3 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in airtight containers.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 6, 2020
Didn't realize this is a cookie that goes with coffee or tea. Dough was dry so I added about a tablespoon of water, wish I'd used orange juice instead, or perhaps another large egg.
Nov 14, 2019
I made close to 144 dozen cookies for Christmas gifts last year and this was by far my favorite.