Orange Poppy Seed Cookies
My friend Sandy and I have gotten together for years to bake Christmas cookies. One year we made 16 different kinds in a day. I like this cookie because the orange flavor makes a nice change of pace from all the classic holiday cookies. —Kathy Jessen, Sarasota, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, poppy seeds and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into two 10-in. rolls; roll each in colored sugar and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 3 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 39 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Orange Poppy Seed Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.