Coconut Orange Slice Cookies
This is a family recipe that was handed down to me. The coconut and orange combination gives them a distinctive taste unlike any other cookie I've had. They're perfect for Christmas! —Patricia Ann Stickler, Durand, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
Makes2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups orange candy slices, chopped
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats, orange candy and coconut.
- Shape dough into 2-in. balls; place 3 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are set and edges begin to brown, 15-18 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 285 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Orange slice cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.