Chocolate Orange Cookies
My three sisters like the combination of chocolate and orange as much as I do, so we all really savor these beautiful cookies. The candied orange peel on top is a special twist. —Ruth Rumple, Rockford, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- Cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. cookie cutter or shape into 2x1-in. rectangles. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Combine orange zest and remaining sugar; spread thin layer over cookies.
- Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Melt chocolate chips; decorate cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 236 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Orange Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.