Frosted Orange Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- With a sharp knife, score each orange into quarters; remove peel. Use knife to remove white pith from peel and fruit; discard. Quarter oranges and place in a blender. Add peel; cover and process until smooth (mixture should measure 3/4 cup).
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and 6 tablespoons orange mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and enough of the remaining orange mixture to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 168 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 22, 2016
Excellent light citrus taste. I made these exactly as written the first time, but cut the frosting quantity in half the next time, as there was way too much of it. Friends and family love these cookies and asked for the recipe.
Feb 13, 2016
My husband loves these cookies. They are so flavorful and good.Definitely a keeper at my house.
Dec 19, 2015
I made mine with leftover clementines...yum...cookie stays soft and not too sweet except of course for the frosting!
Mar 29, 2013
Followed the recipe exactly. Best orange cookie recipe I've ever made....YUM!
Aug 24, 2011
Very good cookies! The kids love them too.
Dec 21, 2010
I made these cookies for the first time several years ago from an issue of Quick Cooking. I got RAVE reviews and they are my most requested cookie whenever I bake! These are not too sweet and have lots of flavor. Absolutely delicious!
Nov 11, 2010
Does this recipe call for eggs? None were listed.