Buttery Orange Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange zest and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 68 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 13, 2016
A delicious & easy cookie! Had to make a few changes to it, though. I used only all-purpose white flour. You do need to add one egg to the butter & sugar mixture because the dough was too dry. (I'd wonder about the absence of an egg!) Also, I rolled the dough into 1" balls & then used a glass dipped in sugar to lightly press them. And, DO NOT let them sit on the pan for 2 minutes! I had to put my air-bake pans back in the oven to get hot so I could get them off easily! Delicious, crispy cookies with a wonderful orange flavor.
Sep 26, 2016
Where in the world do you find rye flour and why is that kind necessary for a cookie??
Aug 4, 2016
These sound delicious. Do the balls flatten out when baking? I'm worried about having nice, crispy cookies.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.