Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- Melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and orange zest. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Divide among 12 muffin cups; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in milk until mixture forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 1 minute. Roll into a 9-in. square, about 1/2-in. thick. Brush with melted butter.
- Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up. Cut into 12 slices, about 3/4 in. thick. Place slices, cut side down, over orange mixture in muffin cups. Bake at 450° for 12-16 minutes. Cool for 2-3 minutes; remove from pan.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 209 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 27, 2017
To littlewind53: It seems to indicate that one has rolled out the dough into a square and topped with the melted butter. Then combine the cinnamon ( last ingredient) with the 1/4 c. of remaining sugar(from the 3/4 cup that was divided at the top of instructions). Then you roll the dough and slice.
Sep 10, 2013
These sound delish and I want to try them, but I have a question about step 3. "Sprinkle cinnamon over butter. Roll up." Seems there is only MELTED butter left at the end of ingredient list, so what are we to roll up? Please clarify. Thanks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.