Thick Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Assorted colored nonpareils, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, egg yolks and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges begin to brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, shortening, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies. If desired, sprinkle with nonpareils.
Nutrition Facts1 frosted cookie : 219 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 19, 2018
I made these for my son’s fifth grade class for their Christmas treat bags. They turned out great. I did not use the frosting recipe shown above, but instead used a different one for a homemade buttercream frosting. I tinted it green and sprinkled the cookies with red sugar sprinkles. They turned out great. I would make these again!
Feb 11, 2018
Cookie didn't have much flavor. I've had other recipes that were much tastier!
May 27, 2016
Easy and delicious
Aug 10, 2015
So very good moist cookie an loved the frosting my grandkids loved them
Nov 20, 2013
A really good cookie, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of the icing. I will definitely use the cookie recipe again, but will stick with just my plain powdered sugar and milk with a little vanilla glaze. I agree the dough is easy to work with and the cookies are very tasty!
Oct 10, 2013
This recipe was very easy to work with. My daughter and I rolled the cookies out and cut out Halloween shapes. I started a Wilton Cake decorating course last night and needed to take some plain round cookies to practice on so I cut out a few round ones for the class. They were perfect. My whole family really enjoyed them. This will be my go-to sugar cookie recipe from now on!
Sep 18, 2013
I'm not terribly good at baking, so if I can make these, so can you! They are so simple and always a hit with friends and co-workers.