Deluxe Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makes5 dozen (2-inch cookies)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough into fourth. On a surface lightly sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, roll out the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 118 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 19, 2017
These are the best sugar cookie for anytime and perfect for cut-out Christmas cookies! Simple recipe, bakes up fast and makes a big batch. They are exactly the right combination of sweet but not too sweet. I also add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and use a bit of cooking spray on the cookie sheet. They slide right off, and keep their cut-out shape. Delicious!
Dec 28, 2015
Perfect Christmas cookie cut-outs! :) Instead of 1 cup of butter, I use 1/2 cup of margarine and 1/2 cup crisco. This makes the cookies a little thicker/softer. These cookies are so good!
Dec 1, 2015
This is "The Best" sugar cookie. I have been making this recipe since my kids were little and they now are almost 55 and 50. I have a Grandson that won't let me make any other Sugar Cookie. Just mailed him some a couple of weeks ago.
Dec 28, 2014
Best sugar cookies I have ever made or eaten!
Dec 19, 2014
Excellent! I made these with my 7 yr old nephew, very easy. I chilled the dough for about 20 minutes in the freezer and they rolled out nicely.
Sep 11, 2014
I followed the recipe exactly as written, but my dough came out very soft. I chilled it over night so that I could roll out the cookies in the morning. I found that the dough got warm and soft very quickly, making it almost impossible to roll out and difficult to cut the cookie shapes. Should I have added more flour?
Apr 17, 2014
Excellent taste, rolled easily cut out easily! I cut almond extract to 1/4 Tsp.
Dec 29, 2013
The taste is good, but this recipe isn't very conducive to cutout cookies ... they don't hold their crisp shape when baking.
Dec 18, 2013
My Mom has been using this recipe for more than 40 years. It is a family favorite. Using parchment paper under the cookies helps prevent the issue of sticking to the cookie sheet.
Dec 8, 2013
Mmmmmm! My favorite sugar cookie recipe by far!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.