Nutmeg Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into 14 pieces. Shape each portion into a 12-in. x 1/2-in.-thick rope. Cut ropes into 2-in. pieces. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 9-12 minutes or until set and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extracts; beat until blended. Beat in enough cream to achieve desired consistency.
- Frost cookies. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 62 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 16, 2014
I went searching for this recipe after I had these cookies from a cookie exchange. I love them. I like that they're not overly sweet. The nutmeg lends well to a fall/Christmas cookie. Don't omit the icing. As that's the main sweetness.The dough was quite dry for me and though I could press it into a ball I couldn't actually roll it so I added 2-3 tbsp of water a splash at a time and that did the trick.