Cardamom Sugar Cookies
The warm flavor of cardamom spices up these classic sugar cookies. They’re the ideal treat for your homemade goody basket. Tint the glaze to fit the season.—Darina Jurasek, Salmon Arm, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Coarse sugar and/or edible glitter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cardamom, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Roll each disk directly on parchment paper-lined baking sheets to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. snowflake-shaped cookie cutter, leaving at least 2 in. between cookies. Remove trimmings.
- Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and milk. Pipe over cookies and sprinkle with coarse sugar and/or glitter. Let dry completely.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 88 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cardamom Sugar Cookies in Country Woman December/January 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.