Giant Lemon Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in lemon peel and juice. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Place 6 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness with bottom of a measuring cup. Lightly brush tops with water; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 340 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 18, 2018
Delicious lemon cookie! I substituted gluten-free flour for AP flour, as my husband has Celiac, but simply loves sugar cookies. Also made them into smaller cookies since we were taking them to a party. My husband commented they were the best sugar cookies I had ever made. Will keep this recipe and make them again and again!
Jun 14, 2018
Jun 13, 2018
This cookie was good, but I was disappointed in how it flattened out so much. I have other lemon sugar cookies that I like better. I think I will pass on this recipe next time.
Jun 2, 2018
A tasty lemon cookie. Definitely needs the lemon extract. I added it plus added a bit more grated peel as I had more when I grated and my mom and I agreed we would like a bit more zing even with the extract. I made them smaller which was nice. When I make again, I would chill the batter a bit. I found the batter a bit too sticky to roll.
Feb 18, 2018
I modified the size of of the cookies to 1" round balls and baked for 12 minutes at 350. They were DELICIOUS! Great recipe and definitely a repeat!
Nov 7, 2016
Made this for the first time a monto ago. My mom took the rest of the cookies to work..and they all went crazy. NOW everyone wants this recipe. SO yummy, and soft. An elegant cookie.
Jun 23, 2016
This cookie is just delicious! I have made it several times and it turns out perfect...soft, chewy, light and lemony. You will not regret making these again and again.
Feb 24, 2016
Great recipe! I took a little advice off of the other reviews and added 1 tablespoon of lemon extract for more lemon flavor. I, too, made smaller cookies to stretch the recipe further and to share with others. Thanks for submitting this recipe. It's a keeper!
Aug 15, 2015
Couldn't taste the lemon at all and they turned out too crunchy. Will not be making these again.
Jul 13, 2015
Made these for my daughter who loves lemon. She really loved them!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.