Giant Lemon Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in lemon zest and juice. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Place 6 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness with bottom of a measuring cup. Lightly brush tops with water; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until light brown, 12-15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 340 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 29, 2019
To FLIPPERPIE * In reading your review my heart went out to you on the loss of your Lemon Tea Cookie recipe. I am attaching a link to a Lemon Tea cookie that's been around since the 1950's and has excellent reviews. I hope this is close to what you are looking for https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemon-tea-cookies/
Feb 24, 2019
Just made this cookie. Could not roll into balls because was very sticky. Instead I refrigerated it for about 20minutes. I used a small cookie scoop and bakes them at 11 minutes. Glad I followed suggestions and added lemon extract. I also used just a dash of vanilla. This cookie is very good but I probably will not make it again. I had a delicious lemon tea cookie that I have made for years and unfortunately lost the recipe. I don’t know how to make it from memory. Have been searching for a long time and will keep searching.
Feb 16, 2019
I love these cookies. Do add extra lemon juice to get that lemon flavor.
Dec 15, 2018
These were great! I did add lemon extract and make them smaller. I used different colors of coarse sugar for fun. I will be making these again soon!
Jun 18, 2018
Delicious lemon cookie! I substituted gluten-free flour for AP flour, as my husband has Celiac, but simply loves sugar cookies. Also made them into smaller cookies since we were taking them to a party. My husband commented they were the best sugar cookies I had ever made. Will keep this recipe and make them again and again!
Jun 14, 2018
Jun 13, 2018
This cookie was good, but I was disappointed in how it flattened out so much. I have other lemon sugar cookies that I like better. I think I will pass on this recipe next time.
Jun 2, 2018
A tasty lemon cookie. Definitely needs the lemon extract. I added it plus added a bit more grated peel as I had more when I grated and my mom and I agreed we would like a bit more zing even with the extract. I made them smaller which was nice. When I make again, I would chill the batter a bit. I found the batter a bit too sticky to roll.
Feb 18, 2018
I modified the size of of the cookies to 1" round balls and baked for 12 minutes at 350. They were DELICIOUS! Great recipe and definitely a repeat!
Nov 7, 2016
Made this for the first time a monto ago. My mom took the rest of the cookies to work..and they all went crazy. NOW everyone wants this recipe. SO yummy, and soft. An elegant cookie.