Asparagus-Spinach Pasta Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked penne pasta
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with salt. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring after 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- For dressing, combine onions, vinegar and soy sauce in a blender; cover and process. While processing, gradually add the remaining oil in a steady steam.
- In a large salad bowl, combine pasta, spinach and asparagus. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cashews and Parmesan cheese.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 396 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Apr 5, 2018
This recipe was a hit at Easter! I will say though, it makes a LOT! So we only dressed half of it. The remainder has remained fresh in a plastic container! Again, I only dressed what we ate.
Feb 20, 2018
My family really enjoyed this salad. It is pretty to look at and tastes fresh and light. I did think the dressing lacked a little zip, so will try adding garlic and balsamic next time. Good salad.
Apr 2, 2017
We thought this was excellent. Like many others, I added minced garlic to the dressing. We will have this again!
Aug 11, 2016
This was an ok recipe. You have to eat it right away. Not to good as a leftover meal. I added fresh tomatoes from our garden.
Mar 27, 2016
Awesome! As suggested in some reviews, I added garlic and a splash of balsamic vinegar to the dressing. We had grilled chicken breasts with it and cut the chicken into tiny pieces to eat with the salad in each bite. I baked the asparagus for 20 minutes, it didn't look ready after 8-10 minutes. Made a lot! This tastes good cold next day, too.
May 8, 2015
I read the reviews before making this recipe, and decided to add the garlic, and I also added some horseradish. Supreme! I sized it down to serve just two; easy to do with this recipe. And for those who cannot eat nuts, not to worry.. just eliminate them and the end result is still an outstanding salad.
Sep 21, 2014
This has become a family side dish favorite.
May 30, 2014
This was a good salad but it needed a little something to make it pop. I think next time I will use some minced garlic.
May 18, 2014
We loved it.
Jul 4, 2013
The flavor combo sounded odd at first, but I've been making this for 7+ years now and it's hands down my favorite pasta salad of all time. It's always a hit at gatherings - so flavorful and unique!