Cheesy Cream of Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes6 servings (1 quart)
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- Roasted asparagus tips, optional
- Prepare asparagus according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Pour half of the milk mixture into a blender; add half of the asparagus. Cover and process until very smooth; return soup to the saucepan. Repeat with the remaining milk mixture and asparagus. Stir in the cheese, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). If desired, top with roasted asparagus tips.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 261 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 852mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Apr 27, 2014
BEST asparagus soup I've ever had. I used fresh asparagus which I boiled, cooled, blended with a little milk., then added to hot soup. I didn't have milk on hand so I used about a cup of evaporated milk and 3.5 cups homemade chicken broth. DELICIOUS!
Mar 9, 2014
Loved it. I didn't have any hot sauce so I added pepper cheese mixed with cheddar
Feb 26, 2014
I think I will stay with cheddar cheese and instead of using frozen asparagus, I sauted fresh asparagus, celery and onion ahead of time.
Apr 19, 2012
This soup was very good. It had a smooth consistancy until I put in the cheese. Then it looked a bit curdled. Next time I make this, I will include some onion and use Velveeta cheese.
Mar 21, 2011
This was an absolutely excellent recipe. I changed a few ingredients and would not recommend straining the pulp. I did not add the hot pepper sauce, but otherwise, it was AMAZING!!!