Cheesy Cream of Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes6 servings (1 quart)
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- Roasted asparagus tips, optional
- Prepare asparagus according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Pour half the milk mixture into a blender; add half the asparagus. Cover and process until very smooth; return soup to the saucepan. Repeat with the remaining milk mixture and asparagus. Stir in the cheese, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). If desired, top with roasted asparagus tips.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 261 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 852mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
May 17, 2020
I've tried so many different asparagus soup recipes and this is hands down the best asparagus soup. I've substituted cheddar for the Monterey Jack, and it's delicious. I've made this twice so far, and it will go into my rotation.
Apr 27, 2014
BEST asparagus soup I've ever had. I used fresh asparagus which I boiled, cooled, blended with a little milk., then added to hot soup. I didn't have milk on hand so I used about a cup of evaporated milk and 3.5 cups homemade chicken broth. DELICIOUS!
Mar 9, 2014
Loved it. I didn't have any hot sauce so I added pepper cheese mixed with cheddar
Feb 26, 2014
I think I will stay with cheddar cheese and instead of using frozen asparagus, I sauted fresh asparagus, celery and onion ahead of time.
Apr 19, 2012
This soup was very good. It had a smooth consistancy until I put in the cheese. Then it looked a bit curdled. Next time I make this, I will include some onion and use Velveeta cheese.
Mar 21, 2011
This was an absolutely excellent recipe. I changed a few ingredients and would not recommend straining the pulp. I did not add the hot pepper sauce, but otherwise, it was AMAZING!!!