Slow-Cooked Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, milk, eggs, butter and salt. Stir in the cheddar cheese, 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese and macaroni.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until center is set, stirring once. Sprinkle with remaining sharp cheddar cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 415 calories, 28g fat (20g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 745mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 28, 2018
This was very good, but I wish it was creamier.
Sep 27, 2014
Made this for a "tailgating" type dinner recently and it received many great reviews - had a number of people say "don't lose that recipe". I substituted nacho blend cheese for the cheddar and kept the sharp cheddar. Definitely a hit in our family.
Sep 20, 2013
Eh. I liked that this recipe does not have a lot of fake ingredients in it, like cheese soup & velveeta, but it definitely lacks a nice creamy consistency. The taste is fine, but the texture is pretty weird.
Oct 18, 2012
This was mushy, very gloppy, and had an unpleasant taste. It was inedible! I've never thrown away a dinner before, this was the first one.
Nov 10, 2009
Loved it...would definitely try a lighter version, like cut back on the butter used (there was so much grease sitting on the top that I mopped it up with paper towels) & use reduced fat cheese instead. I also added 2 squirts of mustard for an extra taste :o) My family loved it.
Apr 14, 2009
Aug 22, 2008
I have a rather stupid question. When a recipe says 2 cups uncooked macaroni does it work to simply measure two 8 ounce measuring cups full of uncooked pasta?