Homemade Egg Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, eggs, butter, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 6 portions. Roll each into a 14-in.-long rope. For each loaf, braid 3 ropes together on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Beat together egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 135 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 8, 2018
PLEASE NOTE: Bake on a bread stone or multi layered baking sheet. A typical baking sheet is too thin and the bread burns on the bottom before done. Granted I am new at baking bread... the house smells amazing though and running out to get a baking stone now! Will repeat tomorrow!
Jun 2, 2018
I made bread and burger rolls out of this recipe an my kids ate it up!!!
Feb 5, 2018
I made this bread this morning and it turned out beautiful. The recipe is easy to follow and tastes amazing.
Sep 25, 2016
This bread turned out exactly how I expected and was a hit at my family dinner. It's soft, tender, tastes like "egg bread". I followed the recipe exactly, omitting the seaseme seeds at the end because I didn't have any, but still brushed the glaze before it went in the oven. My guests thought the bread was from a bakery, served it with a homemade lasagna. I will be making this bread again!
Oct 20, 2014
Absolutely delicious. .. was a big hit here ant home out of the two loafs only half left...
Mar 1, 2014
This recipe takes a long time to make! It basically tasted like plain bread. I think it needed more sugar, and salt as a topping. The texture was nice. It tasted good with honey. Overall I thought it took too long for how it tasted.
Dec 26, 2011
Easy to make, all ingredients on hand, great texture. Makes yummy toast and a great gift!
May 7, 2011
I made this bread for Mother's Day and it is unbelievable. I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer with the dough hook attachment to kneed the dough and it was so easy. I also put sugar on one of the loaves for a sweetbread taste and it was unbelievable. You gotta try this bread you'll love it!
Mar 13, 2011
I'm so used to getting bread dough going in the breadmaker and then baking it in the oven. Do you think I could do that, the kneading & rising portion with this recipe in the breadmaker?
Mar 13, 2011
I wouldn't change anything!