Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 45 min.
Makes3 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 large eggs
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 9-3/4 to 10-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and yolks until lemon-colored; gradually add sugar. Add the butter, salt, vanilla, lemon juice and zest; beat well. Add milk and yeast mixture. Gradually add 6 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with raisins; knead for 5 minutes longer. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape each portion into a loaf and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 163 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 28, 2018
Made this bread last Easter and it was delicious. I've been looking for recipes for holiday breads with an "old world" taste and texture. This was exactly what I was searching for. Delicious, rich, eggy bread that sliced well. It was a treat toasted with generous amounts of soft butter! Will be making again for this Easter celebration.
Nov 23, 2015
recipe sounds great....my family use to add whiskey and also used saffron
Mar 15, 2012
I've been looking for a recipe that comes close to a bread that an elderly Russian lady would share with us on holidays. This one fits the bill beautifully. A great loaf.