Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup chopped red and green candied cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 8x4-in. loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and melted butter until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture alternately with eggnog, beating well after each addition. Fold in cherries, pecans and raisins.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared eggnog.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 202 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 20, 2018
I made this today, modified it as Becky stated before but without the whiskey or rum extract, and it was very moist; definitely not dry. I also baked it into 4 mini loaves, and baked it for 30 minutes. Since I was giving it for gifts, I had to taste it to see how it was, and was absolutely perfect!
Dec 20, 2017
First batch I made exactly as the recipe stated. It seemed a little dry and not much flavor of eggnog. My second batch, I cut the flour down to 2 cups, increased eggnog to 1 1/4 cups and used 2 1/2 teaspoons of whiskey instead of rum extract. Second batch was much better, more moist and good flavor. Will definitely make again with the tweaks.
May 8, 2017
A perfect gift for the holidays wrapped in red or green cellophane wrap with ribbon around it!
Nov 25, 2016
I made his for thanksgiving. It was extremely dry. I used candied cherries and also added dried cranberries. I won't make it again. I like a moist bread, it was tasty, but just too dry.
Dec 22, 2014
I also thought that this bread was very dry. I will not be making this again - very disappointed.
Jan 1, 2013
I thought it was on the dry side. I did not add the pecans or candied cherries. I only added the raisins. I will look for a recipe that is more moist.
Nov 25, 2012
I made this with Splenda brown sugar (1/3 c) and used a whole cup of currants instead of the candied cherries. It was just delicious. I added 1/3 c nonfat dry milk, 1/2 t baking soda and a touch of extra salt with the dry ingredients. My bread was just as tall as it would have been made with sugar.
Dec 17, 2011
I made two batches in mini loaf pans (3x2x1), 8 per batch, baking 25 minutes at 350. I added 1 tsp. rum extract to the 2nd batch, also used 1/3 dried cranberries, 1/3 raisins, and 1/3 glace fruit. Both were delicious.