Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand 1 minute. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in eggnog until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in gelatin until dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Stir in extracts; fold in whipped cream. Pour into pastry shell. Refrigerate until firm. If desired, dust pie with cinnamon.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared eggnog.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 17, 2014
My husband thought this pie tasted 'very good'. I used a prepared graham cracker crust. It slices nicely.
Dec 9, 2012
Sooo delicious! My daughter and I feasted in excess! I agree on the deep dish pie pan!
Jan 8, 2012
This tastes great. The one thing that you need to correct is the pastry shell information. Based on the recipe, I used a standard 9" pie shell and had lots of custard left over. I am sure this would have been avoided with a deep dish pie shell. I also served it with whip cream on top and it looked very pretty.
Jan 2, 2012
I made this to use up left over egg nog and whipping cream after Christmas. It tasted great and looked beautiful. I used a graham cracker crust. I would adjust the instructions to say stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Mine started to burn a little on the bottom while I was waiting for it to boil. Aside from that, it was easy to make and worth it. Wish there was a picture as I almost overlooked this treat while searching for a good pie recipe.
Jul 31, 2011
This pie is fabulous.It is also easy and fast to make without a lot of fuss.Try it and see for yourself.Thanks for the recipe. Wish they had a picture to show how pretty it looks with nutmeg sprinkled on top.