Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dash salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup diced citron, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles small crumbs. Add eggs; stir until moistened and mixture forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 10-in. circle. Place in a 9-in. pie plate; flute crust. Refrigerate.
- For filling, beat the ricotta, sugar and flour in a bowl. Add zest and salt; beat until smooth. In another bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes; slowly fold into ricotta mixture. Gently mix in remaining ingredients. Pour into the crust. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 482 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 196mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Mar 28, 2018
cmdege, I agree. It looks like a step is missing. There are more layers in the pictured pie than stated in the recipe.. Perhaps someone can give us a clue.
Apr 16, 2015
Am I missing something? The pie looks like layers, yet the recipe seems to have a simple 1 layer filling. Thought I would ask? Thanks
Apr 20, 2011
Would also make for other holidays
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.