Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dash salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup diced citron, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles small crumbs. Add eggs; stir until moistened and mixture forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 10-in. circle. Place in a 9-in. pie plate; flute crust. Refrigerate.
- For filling, beat the ricotta, sugar and flour in a bowl. Add zest and salt; beat until smooth. In another bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes; slowly fold into ricotta mixture. Gently mix in remaining ingredients. Pour into the crust. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 482 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 196mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 28, 2018
cmdege, I agree. It looks like a step is missing. There are more layers in the pictured pie than stated in the recipe.. Perhaps someone can give us a clue.
Apr 16, 2015
Am I missing something? The pie looks like layers, yet the recipe seems to have a simple 1 layer filling. Thought I would ask? Thanks
Apr 20, 2011
Would also make for other holidays