Cream Puff Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipped cream, divided
- Chocolate sauce and/or fresh raspberries, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Spread onto the bottom and halfway up the sides of a well-greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine the sugar, flour and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Fold in 1 cup of whipped cream. Pour into the crust. Top with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Garnish with chocolate sauce and/or raspberries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
May 20, 2013
Very great tasting. Would cut down on the sugar to 1/2 cup and increase the flour. Pie does not set up so would increase flour by 2 tablespoons. This recipe is a keeper regardless of the changes.
Feb 13, 2012
I added a chocolate top coating by melting 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1/4 cup heavy cream & poured over the pudding layer. Made it more like Eclair Pie! I will cut the salt some in the crust next time.
Nov 28, 2011
Turned out wonderful!!
Jul 23, 2011
This is so much faster and easier than making individual cream puffs. After the crust cooled I coated the inside with chocolate ganache. Excellent recipe!
Oct 17, 2009
I made this pie when it was first published in country woman magazine. i had lost the recipie and was down hearted. i am so glad to have found it again. this pie is easy to make, unique, and super delicious. tastes like you spent hours on it. a must make pie for anyone who loves cream puffs!
Sep 23, 2009
This is a really good recipe! I added sliced bananas and it turned out very yummy!