Homemade Eggnog Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 1-1/8 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, soften gelatin in cold water; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin and vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 390 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 7, 2015
Question please--doesn't the pie crust need to be pre-baked and cooled?
Jan 8, 2015
Made this for Christmas this year and it was such a big hit my 20 yr old son went out and bought 6 boxes of French Vanilla pudding for me to have on hand. This will be a Christmas must make from now on! And the rest of the year too.
Dec 9, 2011
This is a favorite in our home. Bonus is that we can make this all year around even when eggnog is not in season to buy in grocery store.
Nov 22, 2011
I make this every year for Thanksgiving. It's easy to make and is so creamy and smooth. It's like custard but in a pie. Delicious!! I add a layer of homemade whip cream but other than that I like it just the way it is!
Dec 6, 2010
My Mother made this pie every Christmas and we all loved it. I am for sure making it this year.Friends are coming soon, will make it then.
Nov 23, 2010
I have made this pie numerous times and have always received rave revies. As a matter of fact, I have been asked for the recipe every time that I took this pie to an event or gathering. It has become a Thanksgiving and Christmas staple in our family. I love the light, yet flavorful, texture.
Nov 24, 2009
I make this pie every Thanksgiving and Xmas. Everyone loves it. And it so easy to make.
Jul 18, 2008
ingredients are missing:1 teaspoon vanilla extract