Tangy Lemon Chiffon Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 to 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Fresh raspberries and mint leaves
- Lemon slices
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand 2 minutes to soften. Add 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed about 5 minutes or until pale yellow. Gradually drizzle hot gelatin mixture into yolks, beating constantly. Return yolk mixture to same saucepan. Stir in lemon juice. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens and bubbles around the edges, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, combine cream, food coloring if desired and remaining sugar. Beat a high speed until soft peaks form. Add cooled lemon mixture. Continue beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Microwave chocolate and shortening in a small resealable plastic bag on high for 30 seconds. Knead bag to mix. If necessary, microwave at additional 10-15-second intervals until melted. Spoon half of lemon filling into pastry shell. Cut a small hole from corner of bag and drizzle half of chocolate over filling. Top with remaining filling. Drizzle remaining chocolate over pie. Chill pie at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with raspberries, mint and lemon.
Mar 7, 2015
Pie had a real good flavor. I suspect I overbeated, as I lost the fluffinesss. Noted for next time!
Apr 21, 2014
This pie was delicious! My family really enjoyed it and I will make again. Recipe was easy to follow and turned out perfect.
Jul 25, 2012
LOVE this pie. The filling is so light and billowy. The texture is perfect. Use fresh squeeze lemon juice and add in lots of fresh zest. Not a fan of the crust. I suggest either a ginerbread crust or a shortbread crust (shortbread cookies and unsalted butter).Personally, I love the ribbons of chocolate, but my husband did not. I have made this recipe several times.
Nov 25, 2011
I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone liked it. I made it with a chocolate crumb crust. I wouldn't say it was quick and easy, however. I may not have let my filling cool long enough, and I was not able to whip the filling to stiff peaks (or I might have overbeat it). But I let the pie set overnight in the refrigerator and the filling did set anyway. It sliced well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.