Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 4 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, 30-35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until milk mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 411 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 247mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein.
Feb 11, 2020
Delicious and so good for you. I made 1/2 batch, easy to divide. Great as well for a little boost. I'll make this regularly. Janet VFE
Jan 20, 2020
This is absolutely yummy! It took longer than 30 minutes to get my egg mixture to 170. It makes a big batch, which is a good thing, as my family can't get enough of it!
Jan 15, 2020
So do use the entire egg? Not just the yolk? Most of the recipes say "egg yolk" only. What's the difference?
Dec 2, 2018
Prefectly delicious! I only needed a small batch, so I divided the recipe into thirds. I cooked that smaller amount to 165°F over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, in 15 minutes. Also, because I didn't have whole milk on hand,
Mar 11, 2018
We have chickens and love that it uses so many eggs as we have a bounty. Very safe and easy to make. We just use a hand blender to keep it from clumping. Easily gone in two days. Love it!
Jan 2, 2018
This recipe is done very well. I needed to pour mine through a strainer because I think I got it too hot too fast and there were tiny bits of "scrambled egg" but that was entirely my fault and after I strained it, it was delicious! Perfectly smooth. I convinced a friend (who gagged at the mention of egg nog) and she liked it too!
Dec 24, 2017
Is it a tradition to have eggnog at Christmas???? Just wondering be course i hear everywhere " We are going to have Eggnog for Christmas!"
Nov 23, 2017
This is absolutely delicious and I feel safe feeding it to my kids! ?? Thank you! A great creamer for coffee too!
Nov 7, 2017
Delicious my mother used to make this every Christmas morning! Thanks for sharing. I've not had any homemade eggnog in years!
Nov 7, 2017
Delicious my mother used to make this every Christmas??????! Thanks for sharing. I've not had any homemade eggnog in years!