Homemade Brown Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cool to 110°-115°. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Sprinkle with sugar. Add oat mixture, brown sugar, molasses and 3 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with butter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 98 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 12, 2017
Awesome bread great texture easy to follow directions all family members enjoyed from oldest to youngest! I followed recipe exactly thanks for this wonderful bread!
Apr 5, 2016
Excellent bread. I used 1cup whole wheat flour. The oats were Rogers porridge oats so had wheat bran as well as flax seed. Turned out very good.
Oct 13, 2014
Delicious! Will make again!
Apr 28, 2013
Should have been 5 stars my mistake.
Apr 28, 2013
Made this bread yesterday and it was great. I exchanged 1.5 cups of the flour with whole wheat flour. Worked well and was a nice moist bread.
Apr 6, 2012
I have yet to make this bread, but I'm wondering if I can triple the recipe without changing the light texture and rich flavor.ThanksRMS
Nov 21, 2011
Literally the best bread I have ever made. It was so good and it worked out PERFECTLY. Both loaves were gone in a matter of hours...and I am making it again today!
Jan 10, 2011
We love this bread. We like it for a snack, warmed with a little honey drizzled over it. It also makes really good sandwiches!
Nov 23, 2009
Makes a wonderful, sweet bread that goes great with almost any meal. We use it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
Aug 2, 2009
This recipe makes an excellent moist bread. The entire family loved the sweeter taste of the bread. To add a little nutty flavor, I put in 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.