Potato Pan Rolls
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- Additional all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in mashed potatoes and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in two greased 8- or 9-in. cast-iron skillets or round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Sprinkle tops of rolls with additional flour. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 163 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2019
Mashed potatoes...Just mash up some potatoes?
Dec 16, 2018
These are the BEST potato rolls I have ever baked and eaten, and I have been making bread for a long time. Awesome Recipe, thank you!
Dec 14, 2018
This recipe as written is the best yeast roll recipe I have tried, and I have tried a lot! the texture is light and airy and tastes wonderful This will be my go to recipe. Thank you for posting.
Nov 19, 2018
Reg54 after you add the mashed potatoes then you use the rest of the flour. Only use enough to form a soft dough. You might not use all of the flour in the dough. You will also use a little flour to sprinkle on top of the rolls. This is why the recipe does not have an exact amount for the flour. Hope this helps!
Nov 13, 2018
The ingredients list 4 1/2 to 5 cups of flour, the directions say to only use 2 cups. I'm a bit confused, when do you use the test of the flour?
Nov 13, 2017
Super yummy and very easy to make! Followed the recipe exactly. Will defiantly make these again and again!