Potato Pan Rolls
My family loves these rolls and requests them often. They don't take long to make because you use quick-rise yeast. —Connie Storckman, Evanston, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- Additional all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in mashed potatoes and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in two greased 8- or 9-in. round baking pans or ovenproof skillets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Sprinkle tops of rolls with additional flour. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 163 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Potato Pan Rolls in Country Extra November 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.