Caramel Potato Rolls
There is a burst of cinnamon in every bite of these ooey gooey tender rolls. They are good to have on hand when someone drops in for a cup of coffee. Maybe that's why we have so many people dropping in for coffee.—Florence Jerome, Helena, Montana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 36 pecan halves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, potato flakes, milk powder, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a well-greased 12x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with pecans.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12x15-in. rectangle. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Brush melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with sugar mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 rolls.
- Place rolls, cut side up, in dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. Bake 25-30 minutes. Immediately invert onto a serving platter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 398 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Potato Rolls in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011