Icebox Potato Rolls
These tender rolls are a family favorite, and we sometimes have more than 20 people around the table. Make the dough in advance and bake when you're ready. —Barb Linnerud, Boiling Springs, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes (you should have about 2 cups). Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, salt, yeast and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add eggs and potatoes; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be very sticky).
- Do not knead. Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Punch down dough. Using a tablespoon dipped in melted butter, drop 3 spoonfuls of dough into a greased muffin cup. Repeat, re-dipping spoon in butter.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush tops with remaining melted butter. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks; serve warm.
Editor's Note: Dough can be made up to 3 days before baking. Prepare dough as directed, refrigerating dough for 1-3 days and punching down dough every 24 hours. Shape and bake rolls as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 181 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 31, 2015
These rolls are fantastic! Easy to make and everyone eho tries them loves them. Their so light and fluffy!
Dec 19, 2014
My mom made these for Thanksgiving and they were so delicious!