Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add beef, red pepper and onion; cook, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes; drain.
- Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes; add zucchini. Continue simmering until vegetables are tender, another 20-25 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 196 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 1, 2018
Nice and hearty! You can vary the heat by reducing or adding more chili powder or cayenne pepper (red pepper flakes add heat, too!) Works well with pork chunks as well as ground beef.
Dec 15, 2016
loved it! great flavor, have made it multiple times now.
Oct 17, 2016
LOVED this! I did substitute the ground beef with ground turkey because I have one child that will not eat ground beef. Everyone really liked this dish and told me to keep the recipe! Winner in our house.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.