Butternut Coconut Curry
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati or jasmine rice
- In a large skillet, saute carrots and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add the brown sugar, curry, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the butternut squash, broth, coconut milk, rice and carrot mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 200 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 23, 2017
I followed this recipe exactly as written. It was way too sweet and tasted flat. I have a very low tolerance for salt in my food but even I had to add salt to my portion and my children's portions. I tried also adding yogurt and fresh cilantro, which helped make it a bit more palatable, but still, I don't think I'll make this again.
Jan 24, 2017
This is delicious AND easy - I add golden raisins and it gives an extra flavor!
Feb 18, 2014
It's an east way to cook and delicious?
Dec 4, 2013
This is quite tasty and easy to make. However, I added more spice. I also felt it needed something extra, like chickpeas? or naan? I'm not sure what it was but something was definitely missing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.