Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
This homemade version of the canned standard— has no dairy or preservatives. Try it in your favorite green bean casserole recipe! —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, salt, vinegar, thyme and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Mix cornstarch and almond milk until smooth; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 3-4 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 139 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Cream of Mushroom Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.