Creamless Creamy Squash Soup
Here's my go-to recipe for family and friends' get-togethers. One time, my niece devoured three bowls of it and we had to stop her from a fourth so others could have one last spoonful! —Sharon Verea, Thomasville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried savory or herbes de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots; cook and stir until onion is tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in butternut squash, sweet potato and summer squash. Cook and stir until squash and potato are lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, savory and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and, in batches, puree in a blender and return to pan; heat through. If desired, serve with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 138 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Creamless Creamy Squash Soup in Simple & Delicious April/May 2014